Monday, 4 September 2017

my creative challenge #8 macramé and monsters

Here's the next summary of what creative stuff I've been up to for the past two weeks, besides my normal course work and architecture related stuff.

The next thing on my list of techniques to try was macramé. I've always been quite skeptical to this, it just seems a bit... frumpy. But then, on the other hand, I've seen plenty of pretty wall hangings and plant hangers lately so I was actually quite anxious to give this a go. And I'm glad I did. Even though I ended up spending very little time on it - I didn't have enough suitable yarn at home for more then one project - the result was I felt this is something I can play around with more in the future, as it was pretty easy and feels more versatile than I thought. My ambition with these "play-sessions" isn't to end up with a pretty result, but this time at least I created something useful!

super easy macramé plant hangers
what you'll need:
sissors
yarn or string of some suitable kind
some kind of container or pot. (I orginatlly planned to used the bottom half of water bottles as seen in the photo)


I'm actually not going to explain how I did this, but instead just link to this youtube tutorial. I pretty much followed this exactly, except for the length of the pieces or yarn. In my case I made the four pieces ca 1,5m long, but it would have been better if they were at least 10 or 20 cm longer. 




Anyway, this is the finished result. I made two plant hangers to hang on the patio. In the end I switched the cut-in-half plastic bottles to a pair of glass jars (I have so many from my addiction to sun-dried tomatoes and pesto). It worked better since they have more weight and were a bit smaller.



my little monsters!
The last week I ended up spending more time "creating" than I have in a very long time. I had this idea - I mentioned it briefly in my last creative challenge post - that I wanted to explore, so instead of spending time on any of the techniques I've been planing to try out I've just been sketching.... monsters!




The first part of the week I just keep drawing, trying to portrait all of these little figures I had in my head. I really felt quite warmly for these little guys, freaky and a bit scary as they might be. Then I scanned the drawings, adjusted the contrast a bit and printed the out to color them. This part was equally fun. 



I still have a few ideas on new monsters to introduce, and some ideas on other additions I want to make to these drawings. As this week will be a bit busy I'm not sure how much work I'll get done though. But I feel good about this, I haven't had this much fun drawing in ages!

No comments:

Post a Comment