Thursday, 31 August 2017

I've read: cloud atlas

by David Mitchell


I've come across the name of this book many times, but I guess mostly because it is also a movie. I had no idea it was by the same author as Slade House that i read pretty much exactly a year ago. I picked up this book when me and Andreas were in Japan in July, along with another book by him, actually.


So, I would say that it's good to have a little bit of an idea of what you are getting yourself into before you start reading this book, otherwise you might get really dissuaded by the first part. Especially if English isn't your first language. This book consists of several stories that takes places in different periods in time, over several hundred years, all told by different people. The stories span from being historical to futuristic and are very much a comment on human nature and behavior. 


The stories all tie together although I wont go into how  - however they way they do is in my opinion the weakest part of this book. They are all written in very different styles and a few of them takes a lot of concentration to follow. But that's also the fascinating thing about this book - and a thing that I was impressed of in Slade House as well - how Mitchell can come up with so completely different "languages" depending on who the narrator is. 


Although it took me a while to start liking this book I ended up really doing so. It's impressive. And now I'm curious to watch the movie based on it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment