Thursday, 4 May 2017

My May

May. My birthday month. I've always loved May. I've felt it was my month.
But this May everything is different, obviously. It's our first spring in Brunei, but spring doesn't really exist here on Borneo. At least the rainy season seem to have come to an end, that's nice.
Anyway. What feels different is all that hope and excitement I usually feel in the beginning of the month. Knowing that it starts now, the sitting-in-the-sunshine-drinking-a-glass-of-white-wine-with-friends season, the barbecue season, the it's-too-cold-to-go-for-a-swim-but-we-do-it-anyway season, the season when everything seems possible. I see it happening on Instagram and Facebook, people over in Norway and Sweden are climbing out for their winter shells, an extra dose of joi de vivre everywhere. And yes I know I shouldn't complain, I have 30 degrees everyday and all the time in the world to do what ever I want with my life, but I still feel a bit nostalgic. I long for all of those social things people do once it gets warmer in Scandinavia. And I feel a bit sad I wont be celebrating my birthday with neither my friends nor my family this year. I'm over 30, but I've still always been excited about my birthday, until this year.

You know, let's wallow a little bit extra and look back on a few years of my May!


 
In May 2013 I was a hardworking red-head, making the most 
out of the beautiful weather by painting a fence

and then celebrating my 30th birthday by blowing 
bubbles and having a barbecue with my friends.

May 2014, ice cream on a walk home from work

 I celebrated another birthday  in the garden, 
and Emma was there this time too!

In May 2015 I looked this cute on our way to Emma (again)
for the traditional 17th of may (Norway's independence day) breakfast

And later that day I joined another tradition, 
the "Folketog", with my roller derby team.

By 2016 I was blond and went for a walk with darling Alison

 And ate ice cream in the garden

By now I was trying to absorb every last bit of spring-Stavanger before our move, I still didn't know when I would be leaving. Andreas was already in Brunei by now. Weird times.

May 2016, another way of enjoying May and saying good bye to Stavanger, spending as much time as i could with my friends! Here with a pretty Japanese beer on my friend Steve's balcony.


Oh well.

But you know what? The last week of May Andreas and I are going to Hong Kong! That's something to look forward to!

No comments:

Post a Comment