Thursday, 13 April 2017

I've read: Stardust

by Neil Gaiman


I bought this book, along with four others - when I was in Singapore a few weeks ago. I was so happy to find myself in a big, proper bookshop so I had a hard time selecting which books to buy! And then when I came home I realized that I had, unfortunately, bought one book that was the wrong book in a series I'm reading, and that I had already seen the film-version of this book. So that was pretty annoying.


Anyway, turns out I didn't really remember all that much of this movie so the book was till mostly an unknown to me. All well and good. 

As it is written by one of my writer-heroes Neil Gaiman, I had pretty high expectations on the story. He usually writes modern fairy-tales, but this one is of a more classical variation and takes place mostly in a fairly land with witches and unicorns and other nice things. I'm not going to go into much detail about the story, but basically this young man has a crush on a pretty girl - that honestly seems to be a bit of a b**** - and he promises to go find a fallen star for her. So he goes on a quest.


In my opinion it's not one of Gaiman's best but if you feel like reading a fairy-tale, read this. It's a quick read and very lovely in many ways, and the language often beautiful. 

No comments:

Post a Comment